Ribb-it!

My blog about how I try knitting without too many trips to the frog pond. An occasional sewing project might find it´s way in here also!

Friday, July 24, 2009

Yes, I have been sewing (and knitting, a little)

After the capri pants, I didn´t start on tops, like I said I would. I haven´t been in the mood to go through my stash of BWOF magazines looking for the right patterns. Instead I made a pair of shorts (easy fashion Fall 2006), navy, again. It´s time to get over the navy, methinks. Don´t have pics yet, maybe later! I have some gorgeous new additions to my fabric collection, all from Gorgeous Things:
PICT0749
A purple rayon knit (2 yards)
PICT0753
a purple and teal paisley knit (2 yards)
PICT0752
a purple and pink rayon knit with clear dots on it (2 yards)
PICT0751
a turquoise and pink knit panel (2 yards)
PICT0750
lipstick red 100% lightweight wool (6 yards)

I already cut into the first fabric and made a shirt from less than a yard of it. Pattern? Nope, just cut 2 rectangles as wide as my shoulders (a little wider actually, sort of a dolman sleeve) and as long as I wanted the top to be. Sew the shoulder seams with a 2" seam allowance to create a facing at the neck. This creates a bateau neckline, that you make as small or large as you want it. Measure how deep the sleeves need to be and sew the underarm and side seams in one go, creating as much waist as you want, or not. I didn´t hem the bottom, I just folded it under and tacked it to the side seams on the inside. And all that translates to:

PICT0746

I like it and see more of these in the future! ;-))
My next project is already cut out: a (hopefully) wearable muslin of this. Well, just the pants for now. I cut these out of a tan cotton stretch gabardine. I have about 5m of it, I don´t really like the color for my professional wardrobe, but I think this is a good fabric for some casual pants. I see another capri pants in my future! OK, gotta go see what the man is doing in the kitchen. He said something about cooking chinese, so we´ll see!

Cheerio

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home